Monday, July 2, 2012

How do you say weird in Italian?

It was a weekend filled with highs and lows.  Overall, it was good, but it has some unsettling moments.  It was the first weekend we haven't had company in, well, I'm not sure how long.  Several weeks.  It was kind of good to be alone.  Teen Angel had a roller derby bout in Bloomington, Illinois so it was just Hubby and I.  We quietly floated in the pool Friday and Saturday afternoon because that was about the only way to stay cool.  Even then, you had to stay mostly submerged to escape the 105 heat we had.  We had a regular cold snap today as our high was only around 99.  Aye, yi, yi it's warm.  It's hotter than a elephant's butt on the equator.  And dry.  We haven't had rain in a long time.  Everything here is burning up.  Hubby finally quit watering the grass because it just seemed futile.  And expensive.  We did stay cool though and trotted downtown Saturday evening for dinner and the opening reception of an annual photo contest held at our main local art gallery and the independent theater next door.  There are two parts to the show, one featuring regional photographers, and one on my photos was selected for it. 

I took it in China Town when we were in New York last year.  Much MUCH to my surprise I won second place and a $100 prize.  Money for our Italy fund!  They said I was brave and controversial.  I rather like that.  We celebrated with a nice dinner and homemade ice cream at the local ice cream shop.  I NEVER eat the ice cream.  Hubby always does.  I found it to be a special occasion so I splurged.  I was feeling, um, brave.  As we ate dinner, Teen Angel texted me to tell us they won their bout and she hadn't kocked out any teeth or broken any bones.  Winners all around in the Hula-gen household Saturday night.  As the world usually doesn't spin in that direction for us, we were all pretty thrilled with our good fortune.

The bad news came yesterday morning when we found out that a classmate of Teen Angel's who she graduated with last year died in her sleep Saturday night.  The young woman was just 19 and it appears there was a medical issue that caused her death.  It was a shock to Teen Angel and all of her friends.  What a loss.  We had just seen the young lady at the movies Thursday night when we went to see Magic Mike. 

And yes, Teen Angel and I went to the midnight showing of Magic Mike.  It was a packed house, I might add.  Mother daughter bonding at its best.  It was exactly as I expected, a thin plot and lots of mostly nekked hot men dancing around.  I give it four stars just for the last fifteen minutes.  And while I won't spoil the fun for you ladies who haven't seen it, let's just say that if you're a Matthew McConaughey fan, you won't be disappointed by those fifteen minutes.  Fifty shades of what?

The second really weird moment came yesterday when Teen Angel realized that the man arrested this weekend for murder was a dishwasher at the bakery where she works.  The man was arrested after someone spotted him pushing what appeared to be a body in a shopping cart down the street in the wee hours of Sunday morning.  The police say he actually killed the man early Friday morning and kept him in a storage container behind his house until he tried to move the victim.  He then went to work at the bakery Friday.  Which means when Teen Angel was at the bakery Friday and saw him, he had the body of someone he'd killed stuffed in a box at his house.  Now, if that doesn't ruffle your never endings, what does?  Yikes.

See?  Good weekend with weird moments.  I have lots of posts floating around in my head since I haven't posted since last Wednesday, but honestly, I just needed to take a break from writing long enough to catch up on some picture editing.  The summer photo season is in full swing, and I can't wait to show you some pictures I took recently of a six month old.  Two words-mud puddle.  It was great fun, and I have maternity pictures this week and a wedding next weekend.  It's keeping me busy, but ya'll it's MONEY FOR ITALY!  Ciao!  (I'm practicing my Italian. Let's hope it's better than my French.)

1 comment:

Linda said...

Wow! What a weekend! Glad everyone had a good weekend, but yikes, what a shocker about the friend's death and the arrest of the fellow employee! Never a dull moment, is there! Congratulations on the prize too!