Monday, February 20, 2012

I Hear That Train a Comin'

I need your help. Each month, at our local photography club meeting, we do a photo challenge. There is a different theme each month, and we each bring a picture that is our best interpretation of that theme. I love the challenge. It inspires me, and I love seeing everyone's different perspectives on the same subject. Often, I look at the pictures and say, "Hula, why didn't you think of that?"


The March theme is "Fixed Object", specifically the train that sits downtown near our floodwall. Our submissions have to feature that train (or one other landmark in our community that I found to be very uninspiring. After two visits to that train, I have now shot it from 1,683 angles. I'm not sure I'm done. I should be done. But I'm probably not. I should just stop right now, but I have another week or so for a few last shots. The perfectionist in me is never satisfied. Also? I'd be less than honest if I didn't admit that I'm so darn competitive, I can't stand that I haven't won a ribbon in those challenges in several months. I know it's just a ribbon, but remember, you're looking at the gal who slid six feet across the deck of a cruise ship on her butt to win a plastic ship on a stick. Oh, we all have our weaknesses. Anyway, I can't decide which pictures, among the ones I've shot so far, I want to turn in. And that's where you come in.

I've learned in the last year or so that what appeals to me in photography is often very different than what other folks like. Sometimes, I just fall in love with a picture and then find myself really disappointed when everyone else looks at it and says, "Meh." So, peruse the photos and tell me which one you like best and why. And tell me your second favorite. If you don't like any of them, that's okay, too. I'd like to know why. Be honest. I'm looking for good feedback.

You won't see a photo of the whole train because, frankly, I was trying to avoid that. I specifically avoided obvious shots that I thought others might submit. I'm trying to stretch my skills this year in some very specific ways, so I limited my options when shooting the train. I'm interested to see how the opinions of the locals who are familiar with this train compares to those who have never seen it. And I need several opinions, so if you usually just lurk and run, then today's the day to leave a comment for a change. Vote and then run. Thanks, brothers and sisters. At this point, I'd do my best imitation of a train whistle if I could. But alas, I'm a whistling failure, so a big "Toot, too!" will have to do.  Oh, and for the locals, yes, I am well aware of the big signs all over that train that ask you not to climb on it. 













15 comments:

Cruise Mom said...

I like the next-to-last one. Why? I have no idea - I guess I like the way the focus worked out on it...

karisma said...

I like numbers 1, 9, 10 and 11.

book_chick81 said...

I like the last one and the Stoker one. I like the one shot from the track as well, but think I would like it more with a little bit less track and more train.

Linda said...

I like numbers 6, 10, 11...the others are good, each in their own way, but I totally understand what you are trying to figure out. We have a photo challenge each month in my photo club also. This month we are working on "black and white" and I am going CRAZY trying to find something that will get the votes! Good luck!

Unknown said...

Oh boy I have been where you are. Sometimes I try to push my creativity instead of letting it happen. It has taken me two years to find this out. I feel you need to sit back and
look at those photos and see of your photo is really telling a story. Are you pulling the viewer in? Is the train ever occupied with people? If so, catch a real moment on the train. Someone holding hands, laughing, or perhaps use your timer and shot yourself on the train. Something to give it weight and meaning. I don't know if you are allowed to do this, but it gives you options! Happy shooting!

Trailboss said...

Frankly none are my favorite. I invisioned a shot where the camera gets a super closeup on a side from the front (as far over as you can get but still see the entire train). It's hard to describe what I am saying. It does however make me want to go down to the foot of Broadway and take my own pictures!!!!!!!!

"CAPTAIN DAVE" said...

I love #7, but it's a little too "industrial"-looking for you. So I'd go with the seat/chair (#4).

oreneta said...

2, 3 and 4 I loved. I think I like the geometry of them, paired with the minimalist but interesting colours.... something I always find very appealing in a shot. The stoker shot as well, I adore. Again, geometry. The under the trains shots, you would think would appeal for the same reason, but...not so much.

Living Life said...

Ok - I'm liking 4 and 5. They are interesting to the eye....something to look at and study - while the others I just glanced at briefly. They are all good though!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

I love the Baggage photo. I have no idea why...but I do.

Jan n Jer said...

# 5 n 8 are my pics...the red car n a spash of red in the persons coat really make this picture pop in #5...the view of the flag looking through a tunnel or hole is awesome..but you can't tell it has anything to do with a train in #8. Veronica gives great advice...we just talked about the very same thing in our photo club..making an impact with your photos..adding points of interest!
Isn't it inetesting that "living life in Pa" and I both picked # 5...like mother like daughter..LOL!!!

Jan n Jer said...

opps...senior moment...I meant the view of the stop sign..not flag in #8..guess I like red in photos! Actually both of my pics tell a story...now that I look at them again. Good luck...let us know which ones you choose!

J.G. said...

I like the chair one. It suggests how important trains used to be and how much things have changed.

(Is that the kind of thing folks look for in a good photo? Heck, I don't know!)

Supercop said...

Hey sis. Just my opinion the pic of the huge engine just appeals to the mechanical side of the brain. For me the chair is missing something. It needs an engineer's cap or boots or lantern.

Supercop said...

Hey sis. Just my opinion the pic of the huge engine just appeals to the mechanical side of the brain. For me the chair is missing something. It needs an engineer's cap or boots or lantern.