Thursday, June 2, 2011

Cue KC and the Sunshine Band

Madd Maxx emailed me this morning to remind me that on this date 33 years ago, we were graduating from eighth grade. A moment of silence brothers and sisters, for the powder blue tuxedo and the Gunne Sax prairie dress…… Amen.


How Maxx remembers these things I don’t know. I can’t remember where I put my reading glasses ten minutes ago. Anyhow, the email sent my mind wandering a bit down memory lane, and just for spurts and giggles I thought I’d throw out a few tidbits about June 2, 1978. (Other than the fact that I'm old enough to be able to name all of the characters in Fat Albert.) Pull up a seat and grab a Frosty Root Beer friends, while we reminisce about the days when my life revolved around the AM transistor radio and QT Tanning Lotion.

June 2, 1978

-Tom Petty rocked The Midnight Special.

-ELO played to a sold out audience at Wembley Arena in London.

-President Carter was chillin’ at Camp David.

-A stamp cost 15 cents.

-Gas cost 90 cents a gallon and daddy was belly achin’ about it.

-The video game Space Invaders was being launched (Oh, to have all of those quarters back.)

-Match Game was one of the top 3 game shows on television, and my mama thought Richard Dawson was dirty minded. She was right.

-Phil Donohue was on the current issue of TV Guide. Mama thought he was the diddly bop shefizzle.

-A situation was brewing that would soon lead to the suicides of cult leader Jim Jones and his followers.

-The first test tube baby was nearing the end of gestation.

-The average income was $17,000.

-The average price of a home was $54,800.

-TV shows that had just ended for good included the Carol Burnette Show, Maude, Police Woman, The Six Million Dollar Man, The Bionic Woman, Columbo and Chico and the Man. I wanted to be Angie Dickinson. I’m not sure what that says about me as a thirteen year old.

-Grandpa Walton, Will Geer, would die in another month or so.

-The average price of a new car was $5,000 except in our house where my dad insisted on driving a Chrysler that was older than Will Geer.

-Movie companies were getting ready to release Jaws, which would keep us out of the ocean and Animal House, which would make us Shout. Could I get a little Otis Day, please?

-Ashton Kutcher was four months old.

-Gold sold for $200 an ounce. It’s about $1,500 an ounce today, which shows how much has changed in the last thirty years.

-Israel attacked southern Lebanon and military rebels killed the president of Afghanistan and took over that country, which goes to show how much HASN’T changed since then.

-Oh, and I said goodbye to elementary school by shaking my booty at my first school dance. Some things are worth revisiting.

3 comments:

Jan n Jer said...

LOL...I haven't heard the term.."Tansistor radio" I know in at least 50 yrs...I remember when I got my first trnasistor!!! Thanks for reminding me that I am older then dirt now!!!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

June 1978 I was the ripe age of 6 1/2 and was going into 1st grade.

But you'll be happy to know that I know almost all of what you're talking about. Heck! I even had a crush on Shawn Cassidy (I had his album, his poster on my wall AND a satin jacket, just like him...)!! :)

Cruise Mom said...

Remember the "tanning tone" on that transistor radio?