Monday, March 14, 2011

Word of the Day: Whack


Pronunciation: \ˈhwak, ˈwak\

Origin: British
Definition: 1. a : to strike with a smart or resounding blow b : to cut with or as if with a whack : chop
2. to get the better of: defeat
3. slang : Murder, kill

intransitive verb: to strike a smart or resounding blow

Used in a sentence: Hubby pulled Hula out of the way just before the elderly lady tried to whack Hula on the back with a cane because she thought Hula was in her way at the grocery store.

*For the record Hula was NOT blocking the aisle. She had pulled her cart out of the aisle. The lady just wanted to get between Hula and the case of hams without saying “excuse me”.

3 comments:

Living Life said...

Yikes! Beware of mean old ladies! You don't deserve that kind of treatment! Good thing your hubby's got your back!

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

What is it with the blogs I visit today all having this "Boycott American Women" comment. Both you and Jason have it in the comments and both times, I've been the commenter after it!

Besides that....

I had a similar experience the other day and as they swept by I said rather loudly, "Oh, I'm sorry, did you want to get through? I had no idea!" I got the stink eye. What ever happened to some good old fashioned "excuse me...may I get past you? Thank you"

OK. I'm off my soap box.

TACMAC said...

Oh Hula, How lucky you were to have "protection."
My husband met an old man with a similiar disposition (only he used a shopping cart to attack Husband's ankles) at the grocery. After the 3rd "nudge" husband turned around and most antimatedly said, "I am so sorry to be ahead of you in line...here let me help you with your groceries...(he proceded to take EVERYTHING from old coot's cart and put it on the belt). When old coot started to object, Husband said "oh noooo, nooo...I am only happy to help" so on and etc. Everyone KNEW what was happening. Even the check-out and bag people chimed in. When the manager came over (...oh no, we thought...) and said, "oh let me help....I will, PERSONALLY, take these to the car for you"....It was great!! As he left, people actually applauded!!

I know people get tired and we never know what the circumstances are, BUT as my grandmother told me "being old does not give anyone the right to be mean or hateful!! If you feel that bad - stay home."

As always your blog make me smile!!! Thanks Hula!!