Monday, November 15, 2010

I'm Blue

Teen Angel and I went to see The Blue Man Group last Tuesday night at the local performing arts center. It was an outstanding show. I haven’t had that much fun since the hogs ate my little sister. We even got a little Blue Man huggin’ and kissin’ after the show.

That’s what happens when your 46 year old bladder has to make a pit stop at the restroom before you leave and it takes you so long to get out of the bathroom you end up hanging around long enough to catch the performers when they mosey into the lobby. And I’m not namin’ any names, but one of us may have pushed her way toward the front of the picture line.


I’m not one to rant and rave about shows. Okay, yes I am. But I have to tell you this show is fantastic. As in all caps and exclamation points FANTASTIC!! I’ve seen a lot of good theater in the past twenty years, but this was something incredible. I don’t even know how to describe it to you, but I can tell you that everyone I know who saw their show this week felt the same way. It was funny. It was joyful, and you didn’t want it to end. There is great drumming. There’s the paint splattering and paper dropping and lots and lots of laughs. It's high energy and full of surprises. My personal favorite was the rock star moves bit. You get to exercise rock star move #6 and exercise your keister, your fanny, your badonkadonk, your own personal following. And if you’re in the right spot in the audience you might get a purse full of chewed up marshmallows.


But the underlying theme of the whole show is about making connections with people, and I love how the fact that the performers are blue, a color not in the racial palette unless you’re sitting on an iceberg in Antarctica, takes away any of the hesitation some folks have about interacting with a stranger that looks waaaay different than them.


You MUST go see this show if it’s anywhere near you. It’s good fun for the whole family and worth the price of admission. I laughed so hard I snorted, and when I walked out of the theater, I felt like all my burdens had disappeared. It’s THAT good. Besides, you haven’t been hugged until you’ve been hugged by a Blue Man.


Here’s a YouTube video to give you an idea of what the performance is like, but honestly, it just doesn’t do it justice. Just go see the show. I dare you not to shake your own personal following.








3 comments:

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

We were this close to seeing them in Vegas! But I've heard nothing but great things...glad you enjoyed it!

J.G. said...

Okay, I'm sold! The paper finale looks like an intense experience. Did you get splattered? Or was it just marshmallows?

Janis said...

I have heard great things about his show. One day I hope to see it.