Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Things Hula Loves

Honey fresh from our neighbor’s hive.



Besides being a warm and caring preacher to his congregation and a wonderful person, Brother E. is also a bee keeper. For years he has tended his hives, showed us how they work and shared with us the proceeds of his hobby. His honey is one of my favorite things about summer. It is golden and delicious.






Not to mention it’s made from our backyard pollen so it’s good for our allergies. It’s all natural and oh so delicious. The flavor varies a little from year to year, depending on where his bees decide to play. See those tiny little bits at the bottom?



That’s the stuff that comes with the honey as it’s scraped off the honeycomb by Brother E.’s own two hands. Other folks might be bothered by it, but not me. Personally, I think we all go way overboard on the hand sanitizer germ phobia thing these days. And the three second rule is more like the twenty second rule in our house, especially if I happened to have dropped a shortbread cookie. As daddy says, a little dirt never hurt anybody. Those little specks in the bottom of the honey jar aren’t dirt. They’re just a sign that everything in that jar is the real deal, and I can’t wait to smear it on some biscuits. I can eat a fancy schmancy dessert with the best of ‘em, but in my opinion, nothing beats a buttered biscuit dripping with fresh honey. Well, except maybe a homemade shortbread cookie.

7 comments:

Jason, as himself said...

Wow. I don't even know where I can buy fresh home-grown honey. Especially made from the pollen in my back yard!

I don't even like honey that much, but I have a feeling if I had access to this stuff I would change my mind.

Jason, as himself said...

Although, come to think of it, what is honey, really? And how is it made? Is it bee spit mixed with pollen? Or is it some other secretion?

Sorry. I had to ask.

Janis said...

That is so cool...fresh honey..how lucky are you. We live by the 20second rule...and as my hubs always says.."you have to eat a lb of dirt befor you die" On another note...I am a hand sanitizer nut...after the greeting in our church (when everyone greets n shakes hands with one another) I immediately apply my hand sanitizer which is in my purse at all times.

J.G. said...

This looks fabulous and I hear you about the biscuits! So cool to think your honey is extremely local.

Living Life said...

I am a fan of honey too! I like to dip my french fries and chicken nuggets in it - yumo!

oreneta said...

oh big fat yummy! good for allergies too? Sweet.

Gail Dixon said...

How neat! Honey is also good for bites and skin problems, like eczema. I order a honey that is made in New Zealand called "Manuka Honey Cream" and it has cured the eczema on my hands and feet. It took a couple of tubes and a few months, but it's gone for good.