Monday, August 24, 2009

Something Beautiful

"It's a voice that whispers my name
It's a kiss without any shame
Something beautiful
Like a song that stirs in my head
Singing love will take us where
Something's beautiful"---Something Beautiful-The Newsboys


The most incredible thing happened to me Friday. It had been a crazy, hectic day, and by the time it started to wind down toward evening I was pooped. But as I looked outside the kitchen window I noticed the sky and realized a beautiful sunset was about to happen. I stopped loading the dishwasher, grabbed my camera and headed down the road to stake out a field with a good view. About a mile from the house, I pulled into a rocky drive just off the county road, slammed the truck into park and bailed out, running to get into position. Then suddenly I stopped. And realized I was in the middle of thousands of bright, shiny sunflowers. They were everywhere. Row upon row of yellow blooms tilting in all directions. It was the most incredible thing I’d seen in a very long time. I laughed out loud at their beauty and how I literally stumbled into them.

I didn’t have much time, so as the sun quickly slid below the trees I lay on my back on the ground and started snapping away so as to catch the sky in the pictures.


Since they were in neat rows and growing in the wildlife refuge, I’m assuming they were planted on purpose. Whatever the reason, I’m glad they’re there, and I’m glad I found them. I couldn’t get enough. The daylight dwindled so fast I got only a few shots.

So I went back for more. Yesterday. When the sun was bright and shiny.
And it was just as much fun as it was the first time.
And just as moving.
I love the way the front row lines the road, waiting for passersby.
Bobbing their heads at cars and trucks and tractors.
From a distance they seem to go for acres.
And acres.
For as far as the eyes can see.
Up close, they seem to surround you.
And tickle your waist and chest. The bees and butterflies are everywhere.
The flowers are simply spectacular, and it’s difficult to describe how moving the whole experience was.
And for reasons I can’t explain I felt compelled to capture my joy.And hang onto it for future reference…when I need a reminder that the world is truly a beautiful place.

8 comments:

Jan said...

Oh, my gosh. This is incredible. I'm so glad you found this great field of sunflowers. Don't you love the way they all face East toward the morning sun. (I'm assuming, because that's what they do in my yard.)

janjanmom said...

I've been loving some sunflowers too!! The fields on the way to my Mom's are amazing...don't know if they are the same field as yours...maybe you should email me where those are and I will resist taking 5 of them home in a vase!!

AWESOME PICS!!

A New England Life said...

What a great find! Wonderful photos too. You'll have to take your daughter there. Even a 16 year old girl should be able to appreciate such beauty!

I found a similar field last summer but didn't have time to photograph it until the fall. Thus summer I went back with my camera and it was corn instead!!! How incredibly disappointing that was.

Trailboss said...

I love sunflowers. We have some planted and there is a field that I pass daily going to and from work with tons of them. Not as many as you show here though. I was riding Jones last summer and came across a huge field of them out in the middle of nowhere next to a pond. They were so gorgeous. The sad part is that these fields are usually planted for Dove season which is in September. Lots of our beautiful doves die on that day. Have you ever hear the shots ring out at 11am on a certain morning in September? I can't remember the day but I think it is Sept 12th.

Trailboss said...

And say, where were the sunset pictures? lol

Mia said...

what a wonderful experience! I love when something beautiful and unexpected happens! Thank you for posting!

J.G. said...

I'm telling you, these made my week! I have "stolen" one for the background on my desktop in order to fend off future bouts of the blues. Hope you don't mind.

Hula Girl at Heart said...

All-glad you enjoyed them!

janjanmom-They are the ones on the way to your mom's. Funny, I didn't get the urge to pick one and that's odd for me.

A New England Life-I would have been highly disappointed, too!

Trailboss-I completely missed the sunset pics. LOL.

JG-Steal away! If it brightens your day, it makes me feel good.