Thursday, March 12, 2009

Going Green

While I was stomping around whining about winter these last couple of weeks, I failed to notice something. A big something. Spring has started to arrive, and I’ve been stumbling over it like a blind woman. Little signs of new life are all around me, and I missed it until this past Tuesday. While I was walking the dog and waiting for him to PICK A SPOT TO POOP ALREADY IT’S THE SAME YARD YOU POOPED IN YESTERDAY AND THE DAY BEFORE, I noticed that the grass around the backyard path was greener. Noticeably greener. In fact, the whole yard was greener, so I took a second look around the yard and found all kinds of green things that made my flip flop lovin’ toes tingle. Like the blooms on the rose bushes. And the little shoots of tiger lilies.That odd little vine that shoots out of the fringe tree sprouted while I wasn’t looking.And so did the peony bushes. And grannie’s hydrangea.Those what-cha-ma-call-its that look like brussel sprouts are really sprouting.But so are the weeds. Man, do I need to clean out some flower beds. Oh, wait. I have a husband whose retired and can do that. Hula, make a note about that.
You’ve heard the phrase “Happy as a pig in Sunshine”? This little pig is happy in his bed of flowering weeds. And I almost got down in the dirt and rolled with him when I saw how many of these we had.As usual, the good Lord had answered a prayer for me and I was too busy wagging my tongue to notice. Surely, he won’t mind if I pretend not to notice the snow flurries that are dancing around all of that green stuff today.

7 comments:

Mike Golch said...

I enjoy watching the ground get greener every dayt as well and seeing life returning,unfortunately old man winter is just not ready to give up just yet.

J.G. said...

Love the tiger lilies and hydrangea! Hope they are not getting too much of a parting shot from the winter season.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

We're still covered with snow. But not for long! Mid-40's this weekend and mid 50's by next week.

This IS exciting news up here in the frozen tundra! : )

janjanmom said...

My lovely aughters picked me a huge bouquet of "March" flowers and it gives me hope for the warm around the corner.

oreneta said...

Love love love all that green.....

SwampAngel65 said...

Hey, our weeds are pretty!

Spring is here in South Florida, too, but the lack of rain and frosts of the winter have left everything brown and dry. I mean my yard literally crunches when you walk on it. Ugh. We need rain so we can get some green going down here, too!

dkuroiwa said...

Oh, but I do love me some spring!
We have some wicked beautiful colors happening over here too...the peach and ume blossoms, magnolias, and a whole bunch of others stuff that I couldn't tell you the English name of if my life depended on it!
Along with all that beauty? yep...hay fever like nobody's business!!
Welcome Spring!!

I love that pig!!!