Monday, October 13, 2008

2 Steps Forward, 1 Step Back

ONE MORE DAY AND MY NEW BABY NEPHEW GETS HERE!!!! INDUCEMENT STARTS TONIGHT!! Okay, that’s out of my system.

About this fall thing? I’m working really hard to get right with the idea that it’s going to happen whether I like it or not, and I made a little progress this weekend. I have learned that the best way for me to handle something I find scary or uncomfortable is to just close my eyes and jump right in. Like holding the teacher’s boa constrictor back in fourth grade. I just raised my hand and grabbed that snake before I could think about it. Or riding that roller coaster with the butt clenching drop at King’s Island in Cincinnati. I just strapped myself in and said let ‘er rip. Of course we were the last cart out that night, and early the next day that coaster slammed to a halt in mid ride and injured several people. I try not to think about that much. Then there was the time during a leadership retreat when I had to climb a forty foot utility pole and stand on top of it with arms outstretched. I jumped near the front of the line and started climbing before I could think about the fact that the only way down from the top of that pole was to jump into empty air, with a safety harness, of course. Sooo….I figured the best way to get used to autumn was to jump all the way into the deep end and go straight to the pumpkin patch. Nothing says fall like the pumpkin patch, right?

Our favorite pumpkin patch is a family operation. They really make everyone feel welcome, and they try to keep their prices reasonable. Thousands of folks roll through their farm every year, riding wagons to the back forty for a walk through the patch to pluck up a pumpkin or two.They also usually eat a concession stand concoction called an apple sundae, which is sliced apples covered in homemade caramel sauce, whipped cream and nuts. Can I get an amen for homemade caramel sauce? I know I was praising Jesus when I ate my sundae. That's why I forgot to take a picture.

It was a beautiful day. About this point, I started feeling like the Pioneer Woman and was compelled to snap a picture of the cattle. Should I talk now about laundry, calf nuts and corn casseroles? Whine because I didn't win her camera giveaway last week? No? Okay. In no time at all we were in the middle of the pumpkins.
Teen Angel first roamed through this field when she was two years old and with the exception of last year has made a visit here every year. She loves this place and takes FOREVER to pick out her favorite pumpkins. This time was no exception. She brought her best bud with her, and she picked out one, too. A good time was had by all, and I must admit that it warmed the cockles (what are those anyway?) of my heart to see Teen Angel and her friend enjoying this childhood ritual. The toddlers waddling around with little pumpkins were so cute, and that baby with the candy corn headband made me smile. I can also honestly say I was embracing the whole fall thing, up to a certain point. Granted, I was making great strides. I just...I just...just couldn't wholely commit myself to the cause. In the interest of keepin’ in real (that’s Pioneer Woman talk for full disclosure), I must tell you that I did all of this while wearing shorts and my flip flops with the hula girls on them. I know, I know, no one wears flip flops to the pumpkin patch. But it was unseasonably warm! Honest. I swear, it really was…I promise. One step at a time, folks. One step at a time.

9 comments:

janjanmom said...

Today, at 4H, one of the kids told me her mom said she could not wear shorts today because it was October and no one wears shorts in October. I was wearing shorts and sandals.

oreneta said...

I really like fall, but those socks do NOT come near me till the very very last frostbitten moment.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

I hear ya! It's been cool in the mornings, but near up around 60 in the afternoon. While that may be "chilly" for some, for me that means I can still wear capri pants, a polo shirt and sandals.

Mia said...

First things first
cockles...an edible mollusk having two heart shaped shells. Therefore "warming the cockles of one's heart"
Now, you know here in Ky. because of our weather there is the possibility of wearing shorts to the Thanksgiving table!! Enjoy it while it lasts : )

Rayne said...

This looks like so much fun! And a great big AMEN to apple sundaes with home made caramel sauce.

Vered said...

What a nice tradition. I love the photos - what a beautiful pumpkin patch.

Trailboss said...

I can attest for the unusually warm temps which would call for shorts and flip flops. Was that Wurth's or was it the one on 305? I need to take my granddaughter to fetch a pumpkin.

Oh, and I read PW too. I was bummed I didn't win the camera but I have a Cannon similar to the one she gave away so it wasn't that bad.

karisma said...

So did he get here yet???? Its the 15th down here now! LOL!

Mia said...

well?....well?....we need to know about that baby!!! A whole post if you don't mind : )