Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Dear Neighbor

Dear Neighbor,
I’m curious, when you saw my father-in-law laying in the middle of the street last night where he had fallen and you walked right on by him without offering to help, WHAT THE *#$! WERE YOU THINKING?!!! I’m guessing the bloody smear on his forehead wasn’t quite large enough to merit your attention. Or perhaps, you didn’t want to interrupt your walk for a little human kindness. I wouldn’t want you to miss that new Alan Jackson song on your iPod, so I can understand why you thought it best to leave him in the middle of the busy street. He’s nearly 77-years old. Did I mention that?

That teenager you saw struggling to prop up her grandfather with a leg and an arm while dialing her cell phone with the other arm? You know, the one you made eye contact with? That was my daughter. You might be interested to know that she was scared to death at the time because her granddaddy had suddenly collapsed, hit his head on the pavement and wasn’t coherent. Don’t worry though. She managed to stay calm and summon help without your assistance. Thanks anyway. I’m sure you would have made time in your busy day for them if you had HAD time.

You might be interested to know that he’s doing okay today, even though he spent the night in the hospital, and he has a horrible black eye and some scrapes. Hopefully, you’ll see him and Teen Angel walking in the neighborhood again, soon. You might wave at them next time now that they know who you are. They DO know who you are. After all, this is a friendly subdivision. We like to be neighborly.

Sincerely,
Hula Girl

PS. If on Halloween night you find a big pile of flaming dog poop on your front porch, it wasn’t us.

12 comments:

karisma said...

OMG! How horrible! And I thought we were having a crappy week! So sad that people are either too ignorant or too scared to care about others these days! One would imagine that if they are your neighbours at least they would step in and help. I can't stand one of my neighbours but I would still help them if they were in trouble, but thats just me!

Bravo! To TeenAngel for keeping her cool and being such a grown up! Hugs to you all for having to go through such a trauma.

I hope he is feeling better soon.

oreneta said...

When I fugure out how to mail flaming dog poop, I'll ask for his address, m'kay? Then he'll have two piles. Kudos to teen angel for helping her granddad.

Amy said...

Ditto to your first two comments.
I never cease to be amazed and disappointed by what some people do.

It seems like the ones you thought you could count on let you down, and then it will be a stranger that helps you when you really need help,
much like the story of the Good Samaritan. As the Bible says, there is nothing new under the sun.

I hope he and Teen Angel will be okay.

And on a bloggy note, I'll post my A-Z meme on Thursday.

God Bless,
Amy:)

Jason, as himself said...

WHAT?! This is unreal! I can't believe people sometimes. I am so sorry.

Mia said...

Oh I am so sorry!! Sorry that Papa T. has had this accident,sorry that Teen Angel had to see a jerky neighbor in action and sorry for said neighbor who might be quite poopy this Halloween. We could plan some trick or treating down your way LOL!
Praying for P.T. quick recovery. Hope you weren't too late delivering his snack last night! ; )

ms. bliss said...

This makes me pissed off...I can only imagine how you feel. Your daughter is obviously very responsible and you should be so proud of her (I'm sure you are). Don't worry about the flaming dog poo...I got it covered.

Kelley with Amy's Angels said...

I hate people like that.

I've gone as far as saying "It's OK. Don't worry. We got it covered."

Anonymous said...

Dee from Tennessee

Thankful he's going to get to come home.

Hats off to TeenAngel!

So sorry this happened and just don't understand....

janjanmom said...

I'll help with any Halloween pranks-what a dud neighbor!!

I hope Papa T is doing much better and nothing serious is going on! Email me and let me know the 411.

I heart Teen Angel.

sa061545@bellsouth.net said...

That is just horrible!!!! You just keep telling your daughter how wonderfully proud you are of her! It's a cruel world in which we live these days - I pray that your father-in-law recuperates fully.
Sandra (Amy's Mom)
:)
P.S. Amy's next door neighbor would have done that too - they're idiots!!!!

dkuroiwa said...

Are you freakin' kidding me? That...was unforgiveable!!
Yes...flaming dog poo...or even something bigger...a big ole steamy cow pie would be more fitting.
I hope that everyone has recovered.
Teen Angel deserves a Peanut Buster Parfait from the Dairy Queen for her quick thinking and not losing her head...okay...grandad too..oh what the hell...the whole family go and have one.

Sky McCracken said...

May those that love us, love us;
and for those that don't love us,
may God turn their hearts;
and if he can't turn their hearts,
may he turn their ankles,
so we may know them
by their limping.